Folding knife: design features
Folding knife is cold arms, wherein the blade is hidden in the handle. Current models are equipped with devices that allow the blades to open with one hand. To the blade fixed in the open position, products are complemented by special locks.
The main thing - a blade
The main thing in a folding knife - a blade that is created from steel resistant to corrosion. But cheaper models are made of simple stainless steel. Choosing a folding knife, keep in mind that the better the quality of steel, the longer the blade will be sharpened state. On the other hand, the cutting edge will become brittle, so editing knife his efforts will not be easy.
The quality of the blade depends on the thermal tempering steel technology, which applies a specific manufacturer. If this process is carried out correctly, even cheaper knives will have good cutting properties. During operation of these products should be remembered and that the blade is different sensitivity to high temperatures.
Any different folding knife blade type that has different characteristics:
- blade may be performed with varying surface - polished, matte, burnished, chrome or with a special protective coating.
- Polished blade - an opportunity to improve its corrosion resistance, but this process will lead to the creation of a shiny surface, which makes it difficult for tactical knives.
- Matting enhances anti-reflective properties of the surface, but it degrades the corrosion resistance.
- Bluing leads to the formation of a thin layer of the protective film and darkening of the surface.
- surface Chromium serves as a protection against corrosion.
In modern models of blade created from different materials - epoxy resins, Teflon, they are highly resistant to moisture, acidic and alkaline media. But a growing number of blades are made of cheap Damascus steel, due to which the blades appear beautiful patterns.
A folding knife with a blade of Damascus steel has a spectacular surface, but there is a risk that you can buy a defective product. Good knife edge is generated from low carbon steel strips, so that it is plastic, and high-carbon steels, which affect the increasing hardness of the cutting edge.
Folding knives may be supplemented by the blades of different shapes:
- classic blade or a straight or converge towards the tip, it should be used in everyday life, but had little strength due to reduced thickness towards the tip;
- blade or convex waveform has enhanced cutting properties, thereby easily ripped surface;
- plane-blade folding knives makes excellent to use as they combine high strength and sharpness of the blade, but such products are difficult to sharpen;
- stamesochny blade - the most technologically advanced and easy to sharpen, so used on the blades of knives Asian; thanks to the excellent properties of slashing good job of cutting loose materials;
- have a wedge-shaped profile of the excellent cutting properties, but brittle edge and sharpening complex;
- pentahedral wedge different adaptability, strength, good cutting qualities, but to sharpen the cutting edge is not easy.
Simple folding knives (the photo shows all their diversity) can additionally be equipped with an awl, corkscrew, can opener or bottle opener. And if the model purchased for self-defense, they may have two working blades, allowing to hit the target directly and immediately recoil hand, without changing the orientation of the knife for this.
handle most models - is a batch type-setting design, which includes an inner frame in the form of metal strips and pads. Inside the handle are the elements that fix the blade, as well as automatic opening mechanisms.