Sword-handed: types, descriptions, structural features, advantages and disadvantages
There are a lot of rumors and legends surrounding this medieval weapons, two-handed sword. Many doubt that with such dimensions that it can be effective in combat. In spite of the great weight and clumsiness, weapons at one time was very popular. It should be noted that the blade has a length of at least one meter, and the handle - about 25 centimeters. Thus sword weight is more than two and a half kilograms. Cope with such a device could really only clever and strong people.
Two-handed sword with large blades in a medieval battle appeared relatively late. In addition to effective tools, equips a warrior shield and protective armor. Significant progress in the manufacture of such weapons occurred after the development of the metallurgical casting.
Sword could afford only secured the soldiers and bodyguards. The better warrior fencing sword, the more valuable it was for his troops or tribe. Masters continuously improve equipment ownership, transferring experience from generation to generation. Besides remarkable force, blade mastery required professionalism, reaction and dexterity.
The weight of a two-handed sword, sometimes up to four kilograms. In combat, only the tall and physically hardy warriors they can be controlled. The real battle them at some point exposed in the vanguard of the failure to break through the front ranks of the enemy and disarm the halberdiers. front constantly platypus could not be, because in the confusion of battle, they were deprived of free space to swing and maneuver.
If melee battle swords were used for punching holes in the enemy's defense, the application of chop require a perfect weapon balancing. In a battle in the open space of wedge cut the enemy from above or from the side, and the thrust applied by means of long shots. Crosshair under arm serve to defeat the enemy in the face or neck at closest approach.
Large greatsword weighing five kilograms and more preferably serves as a ritual attribute. Such copies are used in parades, at the dedication or presenting a gift nobility. Simplified versions were a kind of simulator for fencing masters, training arm strength and endurance.
Combat modification handed sword usually does not exceed 3 weight per 5 kilograms and the total length of 1, 7 meters. The handle was given about half a meter of the length of the weapon. It is also performed the function of the rocker. With good skills with the blade of the sword, even a solid mass is not an obstacle to the effective use of these weapons. If you compare the options under a one-handed samples, it may be noted that the last modification are rarely weighed more than a kilogram.
The optimum size of a two-handed sword in the classic version - is the length from floor to shoulder a soldier and that of a handle - the distance from the wrist to the elbow.
Pros and cons of
The advantages of weapons under consideration include:
- two-handed sword with protection can effectively block a large area around the warrior;
- massive blade makes it possible to apply the chopping blows, which are very difficult to parry;
- wide range of use.
The negative side of this weapon is low maneuverability, unstable dynamics due to the large mass of the blade. In addition, the need to hold the sword with both hands virtually eliminates the possibility of using the shield. The ratio of the gain chop and energy costs also served as an aspect that influences the popularity of a massive option.
Types of two-handed swords
Consider the most famous and formidable modification:
- Claymore. This weapon is a native of Scotland and is the most compact among peers. The average length of the blade does not exceed 110 centimeters. The peculiarity of this sword is the original cross-shaped arches bending toward the tip. This design made it possible to grasp and pull out any long guns from the hands of the enemy. Claymore by the ratio of the size and efficiency is one of the best examples among the two-handed swords. He was used in virtually all combat situations.
- zweihänder. This model is characterized by impressive dimensions (sometimes up to two meters in length). It is equipped with a steam room Garden, where the special wedge-shaped pins are separated from the sharpened part of the blade ricasso. The weapon had a narrow application. Mainly used to repel the enemy, or felling Polearm.
- Flamberge - a two-handed sword with a wavy blade. This design has improved killing power. As a result, a devastating effect in the defeat of an enemy multiplies. The wounds inflicted Flamberge, very long time to heal. Some commanders of armies could be sentenced to death only for the captured soldiers wearing this sword.
Briefly about other modifications
- Two-handed piercing weapon "Estoque" is designed to pierce armor. Sword is equipped with a four-sided blade length of one hundred and thirty centimeters, it is intended for use in the cavalry.
- Espadon - classic version of two-handed sword with a four-sided cross-blade design. In length it reaches 1, 8 meters, has pommel consisting of a pair of handles massive. Towards the tip center of gravity increases the penetrating power of weapons.
- The curved two-handed sword "Katana" - the most famous kind of cold steel in Japan. It is intended for close combat equipped tridtsatisantimetrovoy handle and a tip length of 0, 9 meters. There instance with blades 2, 25 meters, which can be cut with a single blow human half.
- In the Chinese sword "Dadao" feature is the large width of the blade. It has a curved profile and sharpened on one side of the blade. A similar weapon was used even during the Second World War when the melee, and very effectively.
It should be noted that the Slavic peoples under the two-handed sword meant a double-edged blade with a solid handle.
It is interesting to
Two-handed sword with the largest size, which has been preserved to our days, is the Dutch museum. Its total length is two hundred and fifteen centimeters, and weight - 6, 6 kg. The handle is made of oak, covered with a single piece of goatskin. Presumably, it is made by German craftsmen in the fifteenth century. In the battle sword he was not involved, and served for ceremonies. On its blade should stamp Inri.
Despite the fact that two-handed swords were formidable and effective weapon, handle them by force it was only a clever, strong and hardy warriors. In most countries, developed and created its own analogs having certain features and differences. These weapons left confident and indelible mark in the history of medieval wars.
Fencing greatsword require not only strength, but also the skill, because there was not enough to keep a weapon, you must also effectively wield it. Expensively decorated and adorned with copies often used in rituals, as well as decorated houses of the rich nobles.