• Among Strangers
Many spend a vacation in Thailand: someone falls in love with the country on the first try because of the tropical climate, clear sea, white beaches and smiling Thais. Someone decided for themselves no longer visit Siam due nightlife, corrupting youth. And someone has chosen this country for permanent residence. Below is a report about a guy who a year ago went to Thailand for a different life.
Our hero set up a meeting in the northern part of Pattaya, in Russian family restaurant Sofa bar
It turns out that in this area of the city a lot of Russian-speaking tourists stop, so the Thais have adapted to this particular area russo-touristo accommodation: there are a lot of signs in Russian, bars, restaurants
The restaurant was very cozy, with an interior in warm colors in a position to slow relaxed conversation and not specific to forever full of life Pattaya
The bar was a young man with apparently no Thai looks.
- Zhenya! - he introduced himself. - That I'm from Almaty
Eugene for 22 years. March 6, 2011 he was the first time in another country with big plans for the future
Zhenya graduated from Almaty State College of Technology and Management, specialty "Technology of catering and organization of production." In Thailand, it is working on the position of chef-manager.
- Here, everything is possible! - he laughs
Pom - Chef:
- Johnny came to us recently, but immediately obvious that he is a good man: a good-natured, constantly with a smile, such is rarely seen in Europe. He teaches us a new Russian dishes, and we did a Thai. I think we will work well together
- The fate I probably was. I never wanted to be a chef. I went to college just for the company with a friend, because it was necessary somewhere to do after school, especially my grandmother, who was very worried about me. Over time I began to like to cook. Got an assistant cook in a cafe "Demalys" and studied in parallel. From morning to study - after lunch to work
Anne - the waitress:
- Eugene we like, a tall, handsome guy. Always take the time to say "Hello!"
In fact, the restaurant belongs to the Russian master. But a foreign employer must have at least four subordinate Thai, or permission to work in this country (Work permit) you do not get. The Sofa bar are eight Thais
administrator and co-founder of the restaurant - Thai Saket. According to Thai law, if a foreign citizen opens a business in the country, he is obliged to take a share in the Thai citizen. A foreigner may not own 100% of the business - co-founded must be Thai (ratio of shares depends on the type of activity). Let him in business even and is not involved, but it will be a shareholder of this company
Prior to this, Jack heard about Thailand only on TV news.
- One day a friend of mine living here, invited me to go with him and be his assistant in the business. I now know that one is in fact very difficult. You need someone you can trust. Of the more our friends he chose me, maybe because of my character, especially since my job was very useful - it was a small restaurant. After removing the money from a bank account that I postponed my grandmother, I bought a one way ticket
- At first I studied the local products. Because of the different climate zone is not all you will find out what you can find from us, or vice versa. In general, I improvised, something replaced, something added. For example, water is rapidly boils and salt is much more salty. Not all at once turned over such nuances, but gradually I got used to
Work together with a friend, called in Thailand, the wife did not last long: he was a man without scruples. Quarreled, young chef went into the unknown
- English I do not know, a well-known words and phrases, such as "hello", "excuse me", but some of the words from the computer games. Gradually, I learned it here, on the one hand helped complete immersion, with another - the need to be heard and understood
- Now that's been studying Thai, it seems from the very difficult language, but in fact is not so difficult, much more difficult to learn Russian. Can be without him here to live, enough English, but much nicer to be Thais, if you return to him in his native language. In addition, it is necessary to know what your colleagues say in your presence
Jack prepares his signature dish - stuffed fish baked in foil. Once it with this dish won the competition for the 5th international festival of culinary art "Altyn dastarkhan 2008"
Due to the absence here of our native carp, Zhenya is experimenting with the Australian Bass
Andrew - the owner of the restaurant, a native of Moscow, living in Thailand for two years.
- I lay on Zhenyu high expectations, I think, with his arrival at the restaurant opens a second wind, new dishes appear on the menu, some innovations in the administration.
Genet Andrew promised to obtain an official permission to work salary 20 tysyach bat (bat 1 is approximately equal to 1 RUB), after receipt - from 30 thousand bat
Dialogue of Cultures. Local cook listens carefully and tries to understand what is it that this guy wants from him
An exemplary wages Thais: bartender 6-10 thousand baht, the cashier (in small bars are generally the same bartender) if hiring a separate 5-7 thousand, waitresses 3-6 thousand. But in Thailand, as we try to take cheap labor from other poor neighboring countries - Lao, Khmer from Cambodia. And the employer pays less and the employee satisfied with his salary. Everyone is happy
Meanwhile, in the kitchen there is magic, tonight will be a banquet, prepared a variety of dishes. Mussels under cheese sauce
- When I worked at a Russian restaurant to us every day came a Thai, who took a great interest in Russian culture. He really wanted to learn at least a little Russian. We found each other: I taught him Russian, and he gave me a Thai. We communicated in English. I itself is a sociable person and was worried that I would go somewhere and I have no one to talk to. Communicating with the Thais, I have learned to feel the emotion. There were times when I did not understand what they were saying, but they were laughing at something, and I laughed along with them. This is an important part of how to understand the heart, showers, learn to feel. Thais musical language and they - sensitive people, and very well capture the tone. Suppose you anything you ask a Thai, but ask dryly, without emotion, he will understand you, but not the fact that the answer or help - you just do not like him, he'll ignore it. They - susceptible people
Passersby looked exploring places menu.
- Before, I could not understand why our fellow citizens while abroad, bought himself the dishes, which are used to eating at home. But spent two weeks in Thailand, I have understood them - the soul and the stomach requires its-native, overseas already grub that's where the cost!
From time to time in the room appeared "strange" comrade, dressed either in plush sheriff or as Michael Jackson. Andrew - the owner of the restaurant, invited a magician to amuse the audience
Visitors are watching with interest the submission of a local celebrity
Especially for us Zhenya prepare local culinary attraction. Spicy Thai Tom Yam soup needs no introduction. Recipes for its cooking a great variety of (in every village its own), but all of them are united virtually the same composition of ingredients. We need: galangal (ginger belongs to the family), lemon grass (lemon grass), kaffir-lime leaves, raw tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, lime, shrimps, chilli, coconut milk, Thai fish sauce, Thai chili paste, chicken broth
All the ingredients are better prepared in advance, because then the process goes very fast. Zhenya bring broth to a boil, add to 2 tablespoons Thai chili paste, chopped lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, chilli peppers, Thai fish sauce and sugar. Brewed all 3 minutes on high heat
After add shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes, pour in the coconut milk and squeezed limes. Soup boiled 4 minutes on low heat
Thais immediately serves the soup on the table while it is hot
Praset - cook. Who prepares a shish kebab, this is an unusual and new occupation for him.
- We also have kebabs, but not of this size and we are not preparing them. Your can eat with one stick.
In general, here in Thailand, a person can be at once and the bartender and the manager and waiter
After work Zhenya rides in their newly rented apartment. A small room in need of cosmetic repairs, but it has a fridge, TV, and most importantly - working air conditioner
This is the kitchen. Maybe a little Thai and fit into it, but our hero is a bit crowded.
- Will - Jack says, looking around her "apartment." - I spend the night thing, it is still all day at work
In the tourist season housing prices rise at least twice, is now housing for rent costing him 4 thousand baht a month, he shoot it, say, in May -. July, would pay no more than 2.5 thousand baht.
And this is the famous Walking Street - a street in the heart of Pattaya, where the focus all the entertainment: bars, restaurants, clubs, shows and brothels
You do not drive the car in the evenings and on the streets of crowds of tourists that looking at exotic goods
- I arrived in Thailand on the usual tourist visa allows you to stay in the Kingdom not exceeding 14 days. To extend the visa for the first time I had to go to Laos, there on the border pay 2000 baht to me opened monthly visa. Now I'm on my way to the Thai Embassy to extend his visit to this country. Price depends on the visa varieties, for example, the six-month costs 2000 baht, travel for three months - one thousand baht.
Now Eugene turviza three months, two months later, he will need to go to the immigration police and to extend it for another month
On the way to his friends in the hotel, which they are co-owners, Jack decided to eat the local fast food
On the ground floor there is a bar. Basically the hotel stop Europeans and Australians. Rooms are inexpensive, besides the hotel a great location - in the heart of Pattaya's nightlife - on the adjacent street to Walking Street
In the bar Zhenya met a tipsy guy from Australia. He curiously wondered where this country - Kazakhstan
In Beibit and Elvira in Almaty was Garbage Bar - a small but very popular once the institution. So, in the restaurant business guys are no strangers. Who decided to try his hand in the hospitality industry
- Normal, for example, a pub in a good location in Pattaya costs about 1-2 million baht, -. Beibit says. - But not necessarily to buy, you can rent, a deposit of 100-200 thousand baht a month plus 15 to 25 thousand baht to the owner of the bar... And, of course, the costs and maintenance costs. A lot of productive moments and nuances that can only be found in this field, having worked with half a year. Earnings will depend on you, the more will be able to attract customers, the better. If you want to succeed, you have to practically live in this bar, as most visitors tend to come to talk with you
The four employees working in shifts of 8 hours, live here in the hotel. As a rule, it is a family. Employees receive monthly about 6 -7 thousand. Baht
- We have a student visa, because here we teach the language. Engaged three times per week on courses. Without knowledge of the language is difficult to relax, let alone work. Now we are happy with my husband, I do not know what will come to mind in a year, it may torn in Argentina! - Elvira laughs. - We are easy-going
Elvira admonishes men who have decided to take a walk at night for the most depraved street Southeast Asia
- If used, living in his village "Alatau", I was told that I would associate with a transvestite, besides joking with him / her, I would have sent this man away. I had never seen such a "miracle" and a very negative attitude to such people. We can say with contempt
- Now, after living the country for six months, I watched all his views on life. They are human beings, albeit different sexual orientation, I-what! They did not touch me, and what I touch them. It is necessary to be easier, friendly
After meeting his friend Joe, a trader in shawls, scarves and caps, baby stops to ask him how business and trade. More guys walk without me
The next morning, we go with him by Russian restaurant.
- This is the first restaurant where I worked and lived. The first month was generally seven days a week, not only had to be a senior in the kitchen, but it was necessary to monitor Thais train them in our kitchen. At the end of the month I asked calculation. Belatedly I paid 4.7 thousand. Baht
- I realized that the money I would not live, I had to rent an apartment and make a living. Collecting things, I left. There were moments when I spent the night on the beach, and in the morning found himself in the middle of a crowd of Thais who want to profit by things drunken tourist
- Once I met with Zhenya, a guy from Ust-Kamegorska, which is then moved to the Czech Republic. We talked, I sensed in him a kindred spirit, after all, it is the same "Kazakh", as I do. He has been living in Pattaya, it is a girlfriend - Taika small business. He has a monthly income to renting an apartment in Prague, and in Pattaya small shisha lounge bar, which he owns jointly with his friend and countryman Suhvatom
- This Suhvat. I am very grateful to Gene and his girlfriend for the support they gave me in a difficult period of my life. I said good for good. He helped to organize them a certain amount of the kitchen, because a water pipe can not eat. But he could not turn around the specifics of institutions in force.
Once in the company of friends, vacationing in this bar, one girl, seeing the efforts of Eugene in the kitchen, I offered to get him into the restaurant to one of her acquaintances. So he was in the Sofa bar
At the request of friends in the evening Eugene drove them to teach Taikoo make pasties. Unfortunately, I can not remember her name
On the Thai names generally a problem, such as at first glance they are not as tough, two or three letters (in fact, the full name of the Thais are very long and complicated for the European perception, so they cut their daily life), but remember all at once by name is simply impossible
- I have one familiar name Oh, and I keep it strained when hitting anything or anyone in its presence, he said: "Oh!". I had to apologize and say that I did not call her, - says Eugene
The condominium, in which Eugene rents an apartment, located a hundred meters from the restaurant, so that he does not need to travel through the city
But today, I woke up, he has to take his namesake motorbike from Ust-Kamenogorsk and try not to be late for work
- I hope that after some time, I will stabilize the financial situation, and I will do what he likes. Maybe in a few months I will be able to visit her grandmother in Almaty, she raised me and raised, and I am very grateful for that. I have not lived with their parents, they were divorced. I want to see his older brother Alexander, hug him. In the meantime, please, tell Grandma exotic fruits from me, I told her long ago promised to bring the pineapple
Baba Paradise to learn that I came with goodies from his grandson, on the verge of crying and started to ask about the details of the affairs of Eugene
- Oh, I do not know whether I shall live before his arrival, he is my favorite grandson. I did not want to let go, but he's a young guy, he has yet to come. I know he must be happy. And, of course, I'm waiting for him with all my heart!